This neighbourhood is named after George Syme, a Scotsman who emigrated to Canada with his family in 1862. Syme settled in this district in the 1870's, when he purchased twenty-five acres of fine gardening land in the "Black Creek Valley".
Syme cultivated plants, fruits and vegetables on his farm. He quickly became wealthy providing produce for the Toronto food markets. In 1898 Syme left farming to embark on what would be a very successful political career. Syme was elected to the York Township Community Council. He then went on to become one of the longest serving school trustees in Ontario.
In the early 1900's Syme decided to sell his "Black Creek Valley" property. In an act of great generousity Syme donated part of his land to York Township. When the local school was built in 1909, on land donated by George Syme, it was fittingly named George Syme School in memory of its benefactor.
The Syme neighbourhood is surrounded by the natural beauty and rolling topography of the Black Creek Valley. It has an abundance of parkland and also features its own Syme 55+ seniors centre.
Rockcliffe Middle School provides a microcosm of the ethnic make-up of this neighbourhood. In the main foyer of this school are a sea of flags that represent the over forty cultural backgrounds of the student population here.