The Silverthorn neighbourhood is named after Aaron Silverthorn who settled here with his wife and three sons in 1825. The old Silverthorn homestead was located high on a hill near the present-day Silverthorn and Eglinton Avenues.
Aaron's son, Francis, inherited his father's property and turned it into a successful cattle farm. Francis was also a pioneer in dietetics and healthy living. He made honey and salt- free biscuits and sold these products under the banner of the "Silverthorn Honey and Hardtack Company." Francis Silverthorn died in 1894 at the age of seventy-nine.
The former Silverthorn farm was opened up for residential development in 1914 under the name Silverthorn Heights. Sales were brisk and the subdivision filled in very quickly. However, it wasn't until the late 1920's that Silverthorn residents would receive the basic city services such as water, sewers, and paved roads that they enjoy today.
Silverthorn is a working class neighbourhood filled with affordable homes within a reasonable commuting distance of downtown Toronto. Silverthorn has an established Italian community as well as being home to many new Canadians from a myriad of different backgrounds.
Silverthorn's hilly terrain is the distinguishing feature of this neighbourhood. The predominantly one way streets that twist and wind through Silverthorn's gently rolling hills are a refreshing change from the grid-like street pattern common in so many Toronto neighbourhoods.