Scarborough Village began in the 1830's as a crossroads village, centred around Markham and Kingston Roads and Eglinton Avenue. In 1832, it became the first community in the former Township of Scarborough to have its own post office.
Robert R. Bonis, in A History of Scarborough describes Scarborough Village in 1896 as "consisting only of a brick schoolhouse, a general store, a blacksmith shop, a building for the sale of farm implements, the Methodist parsonage, less than a dozen dwellings, and a large railway hotel converted to other uses."
Historical Scarborough Village landmarks include the Washington Manse, circa 1875 which is located at 14 Centre Street, and the Fred S. Cornell House, circa 1850, which was relocated to Thompson Memorial Park in 1962, when the present day neighbourhood was being developed.
Scarborough Village is a quiet neighbourhood that features affordable homes in the Eglinton Avenue area and executive homes south of Kingston Road, overlooking Lake Ontario. The Scarborough Bluffs and Toronto's east-end waterfront parks are just minutes away.
An exciting project currently underway in this neighbourhood is the construction of a brand new Scarborough Village Public School, which will be situated just north of the existing school on Centre Street.