Parkview Hills was once part of the vast Taylor family estate. The Taylors moved to the Don Valley in the 1820's and built up a business empire that included a complex of mills and the Don Valley Brick Works.
The Taylors never settled on this part of their estate however they were involved in the subdivision of land in Parkview Hills. The Taylor family are said to have named Hackberry, White Pine, Alder and Aspen streets after trees that once grew in this area. Presteign Avenue, Presteign United Church, and Presteign School are all named after the Welsh hometown of William Pugh who, along with the Taylor family, subdivided the present day neighbourhood.
When Parkview Hills first opened in 1947, three bedroom bungalows were sold for around $9,950. The foundations of these houses were dug using teams of horses and there were no paved roads until 1950. Local residents recall swimming and fishing in nearby Taylor Creek up until 1955 when it was deemed to be to polluted for recreational use.
Parkview Hills is a quiet, secluded neighbourhood consisting of approximately 1,000 homes surrounded by lush ravine and park land. The entrance to this neighbourhood would be easy to miss if not for the Parkview Hills stone gates, set-in from St. Clair Avenue. The gold letter inscription on these gates reads 'Parkview Gardens', which is the name of the pretty little park at this entranceway.
The Parkview Hills Community Association hosts a number of neighbourhood events throughout the year. Many of these family oriented events take place at the Presteign Woodbine United Church. The Presteign Heights Public School with its new large playground and soccer fields is also a focal point of this community. This school has many active parent members who help to plan, organize and fundraise numerous student events throughout the year such as a yearly Writing Contest, Art Exhibition, and Earth Day Festivities.