The land on which the Markland Wood neighbourhood is built was originally granted to John Silverthorn in 1810. Silverthorn was an experienced millright and immediately built a saw mill and a grist mill on the banks of the Etobicoke River skirting his property.
The Silverthorn Mills were the focal point of this community as local farmers brought their grain to the grist mill to be ground into flour and their logs to the saw mill to be cut into lumber. The present day "Mill Road" was a shortcut used by the farmers on their way to the mills.
The Silverthorn Mills operated until 1870 when the water flow in the Etobicoke River decreased to the point where it could no longer power the mills. The Silverthorn family then turned their attention to farming. They proved to be as adept at farming as they were at milling, and even sold tomatoes from their farm to the nearby Campbell Soup Company.
The Silverthorn family saw the city at their doorstep when they decided to sell their farm to developer Mark Cavotti in 1958. Cavotti's associates honoured him by naming this development Markland Wood. Thus a neighbourhood was born.
The Markland Home Association is one of the strongest ratepayers associations in Toronto. There are approximately one thousand two hundred homes in Markland Wood and 85 to 90% of the homeowners support their residents association.
The Markland Homes Association organizes and promotes many worthwhile endeavours including the annual Christmas Caravan, All Candidates Nights meetings, and a scholarship program for residents of Markland Wood who are going on to University. The Markland Home Association also publishes a monthly newsletter called the "Marklander," which keeps residents informed about the goings on in their neighbourhood.