The Harwood neighbourhood emerged in the 1920's with the opening of the Harwood Presbyterian Church on Weston Road. This church and the surrounding neighbourhood are named after a Ms. Harwood, who donated the land on which Harwood Church was built. The former Harwood Church situated at 274 Weston Road, is now in use by another church of Christian denomination.
Harwood has traditionally been a working class community. Many of this neighbourhood's earliest residents were employed at the Hinds Brothers brickyard or at the Overland Car factory which were both situated on Weston Road. Harwood's second phase of residential development took place after World War II. New home development currently underway along St. Clair Avenue West should help to revitalize this old Toronto neighbourhood.
Harwood is a working class neighbourhood that is located on the top of an escarpment overlooking the Black Creek Valley. Harwood is bordered by the Black Creek on the north, and Lavender Creek on its southern and western boundaries. These natural barriers limit access to this quiet and unassuming neighbourhood.