Davenport's history can be traced back thousands of years, to the days when Davenport Road was used as an ancient foot path by the First Nations people seeking an overland route between the Humber and Don Rivers.
Davenport Road continued to be an important passageway, for French Fur traders in the 1600's, and for the first European settlers who arrived in this area in the 1790's. One of these early settlers was Ensign John McGill, the original owner of 'Davenport' house, after whom this neighbourhood is named.
Davenport was primarily a farming community until 1861, when the Northern Railway opened a line just south of here. The Railway attracted industry to this area, and a small village named Davenport emerged.
Davenport amalgamated with the Village of West Toronto Junction in 1889. Then in 1909, Davenport was annexed by the City of Toronto. Residential development of this neighbourhood began shortly thereafter.
Davenport is a quiet centrally located neighbourhood that features modest single family houses, convenient public transit and a close proximity to downtown Toronto.
The four blocks from Christie Street to Shaw Street, immediately south of Davenport Road, are part of the Frankel Lambert housing co-operative which contains private homes as well as Cityhome rental units and senior citizen accommodations.