Clairlea was formerly part of a pioneer crossroads village known as Moffat's Corners. Moffat's Corners is best remembered for the Strangford Post Office which opened in 1863. This post office was situated at the present day intersection of St. Clair and Victoria Park Avenues. The Strangford name given to the post office was probably taken from a small town in Northern Ireland, as most of this area's first settlers were of Irish descent.
When the Strangford Post Office closed in 1873, Moffat's Corners became part of the greater Scarborough Junction community. In the early 1900's, the children in this area attended the Scarborough Junction school which was located at Kennedy and Danforth Roads.
The present day neighbourhood began to take shape in the 1950's when furrowed farm fields were replaced by rows of houses. This neighbourhood takes its name from the Clairlea Public School which opened in 1951.
Clairlea is a quiet, middle-income neighbourhood that features well treed streets and affordable homes. There is plenty of shopping on Warden, Victoria Park and Eglinton Avenues. This is an ideal neighbourhood for commuters as it is well served by public transit and is also within close proximity to the Don Valley Parkway.
Clairlea's major landmark is Warden Woods, a deep ravine valley that spans the south-east perimeter of this neighbourhood. The Warden Woods Ravine parkland has a paved trail which offers Clairlea residents a bit of nature close to home.