Carleton Village is named after Guy Carleton, who served as the first Govenor of Canada, in 1768.
The spelling of the Carleton Village name, with or without an "e", has been contentious since the areas inception in the 1850's. Even today, the historical street markers in the Village spell Carleton without an "e", while the local public school spells Carleton with an "e" in its name.
By the 1860's, despite its spelling controversy, Carleton Village had emerged as a prosperous railway and industrial centre.
Carleton Village amalgamated with the Town of West Toronto in 1889. Then in 1909, this district was annexed by the City of Toronto.
Carleton Village has always been a working class neighbourhood. Today, it is populated mostly by Portuguese, Italian, and Asian families.
Carleton Village was designated as an historical district by the City of Toronto, in 1989. This recognition has helped raise the profile of this quiet, west end neighbourhood.