The Birch Cliff area began to be developed in 1895, when the Toronto Hunt Club relocated here. Fox Hunts were held at this club up until the 1930's, when golf became the memberships preferred activity. In the late 1890's and early 1900's many Toronto residents built summer cottages on the property adjacent to the Toronto Hunt Club. These cottagers were attracted to the area by the magnificent Scarborough Bluffs.
The crest of the Scarborough Bluffs was lined with birch trees which prompted a cottager by the name of John Stark to name his cottage "Birch Cliff". The Birch Cliff name was adopted by the local post office, which opened in 1907 in Arthur Mitchell's grocery store. This store formerly stood at the corner of Kingston Road and Birchmount Avenue.
Birch Cliff emerged as a year round residential community beginning in the 1910's and 1920's. From 1922 to 1947, it held the distinction of being the meeting place of the Scarborough Municipal Council. Birch Cliff's residential development was completed shortly after World War II.
Birch Cliff is an established, family oriented neighbourhood set amidst the idyllic backdrop of the Scarborough Bluffs and Lake Ontario. Drawing attention away from the lake is Kingston Road, a major thoroughfare that arches it's way through the centre of this neighbourhood. The annual Birch Cliff community parade held in May, takes place along Kingston Road.
Two distinct residential pockets within the greater Birch Cliff area include the exclusive "Fallingbrook" community, located west of the Toronto Hunt Club to the south of Kingston Road, and the "Birch Cliff Heights" community, situated on the north side of Kingston Road, between Birchmount and Kennedy Roads.