Bayview Village began as a small rural farming community in the 1800's. One of this area's first settlers was Thomas Clark, a father of seven children and an influential member of the community. The Clark house, built circa 1885, and located at 9 Barberry Place, is the only dwelling that remains from Bayview Village's pioneer days.
The present day Bayview Village neighbourhood was planned in 1954 by a group of developers led by Farlinger Development Ltd. Bayview Village was hailed as "contemporary living in the countryside, at the doorstep of the urban concentration of Metropolitan Toronto."
The town planner for Bayview Village was Dr. E. G. Faludi, who also designed the Rexdale, Thorncrest Village, and Humber Valley neighbourhoods in Toronto. Faludi's trademark curvilinear street pattern that follows the natural contours of the land was designed to highlight the natural beauty of this neighbourhood.
Bayview Village's novel approach to neighbourhood building combined with affordable house prices, which ranged from $16,000 to $40,000, helped make this subdivision an instant success. A residents association was formed in 1956 and by the early 1960's Bayview Village was completely developed.
The Bayview Village community revolves around three popular local landmarks - the Bayview Village Shopping Centre, the North York YMCA, and the East Don Valley Parklands - each of which is an integral part of this family oriented neighbourhood.
The design and layout of Bayview Village is very much influenced by the East Don Valley Parklands. Dr E.G. Faludi, the town planner who designed Bayview Village, recognized the importance of the East Don Valley Parklands when he said "We will fit the community into the landscape and not the landscape into the community." This lofty ideal was met in Bayview Village.